Tucked away in the fir forest and in the great gorges of Menalon, at an altitude of 1200m, Libovisi (or Libovitsi), the glorious village of Kolokotronis’ family, is located between Chrysovitsi and Piana, in a beautiful, rugged location.
The village bears a distinctly Slavic name, as do other villages in the area. Here lived the Kolokotronis family, and grew up and occasionally resided the major general Th. Kolokotronis. Libovisi flourished during the Venetian and Turkish rule. In fact, the Venetian census in 1711 recorded 500 residents.
The site of the once mighty Arcadian village now occupies a small plateau, which has been transformed into a modern small park. Nothing today reminds us of the existence of the village, apart from a few ruins. The only buildings it features are the restored house of the Kolokotronis family, the old
St. John’s church, where the so-called Old Man of Morea and his lads used to attend church, a refreshment kiosk, and a small building of the prison.
The restored house of Kolokotronis is a stone building constructed based on testimonies according to the standards of the old one and in a spot seemingly next to its original location (there are ruins of an old house right next to it). It was constructed in 1990 at the expense of the businessman P. Angelopoulos, who financed the construction and landscaping of the surrounding area.
Today the house operates as an open museum and hosts contemporary illustrative material from Th. . Kolokotronis’ life and work.
A trip to Libovisi is definitely a journey through history.